Murdo joined Cameron Partners as a founding Partner in 1995 and has 30 years’ experience in the New Zealand investment banking market. Murdo has led many large and complex mandates and his experience covers the full spectrum of M&A, restructuring and advisory engagements. Murdo has worked on several transactions in regulated industries and utilities and also where the Government was a counterparty.
Prior to joining Cameron Partners, Murdo’s experience included time as Head of Business Development at Telecom New Zealand (now Spark), and as a senior member in the investment banking group at Fay Richwhite & Company. Prior to that, Murdo was Managing Director and Chief Executive of Fay Richwhite Investment Management Ltd and an investment manager for Tower Insurance. He started his career in the Treasury where his time included two years as Executive Advisor to the Hon Roger Douglas, Minister of Finance. Murdo has a Master of Social Sciences with First Class Honours from the University of Waikato and is a member of the New Zealand Takeovers Panel.
Selected assignments and transactions include advising:
- Contact Energy on the sale of Rockgas
- Fletcher Building on their NZ$750 million equity capital raise
- WSP (Canada) on its successful takeover offer of Opus International Consultants for NZ$263 million
- NZ Oil & Gas Independent Directors on the unsolicited takeover offers from Zeta Resources and the Ofer Group
- Paymark shareholders (ANZ, BNZ, Westpac and ASB) on the sale of the electronic payment processing business
- Colonial First State Global Asset Management on the acquisition of Vector Gas Pipeline and the Maui Pipeline for NZ$952.5 million and $335 million respectively
- Telecom New Zealand on its $929 million fibre rollout contract with Crown Fibre Holdings and subsequent demerger of Chorus
- The Independent Directors of Contact Energy in relation to takeover offers by Origin Energy and Edison Energy
- The NZ Government on its acquisition of an 82% shareholding and recapitalisation of Air New Zealand