Hugo joined Cameron Partners in 2002 and has more than 20 years’ experience in investment banking and finance. He has provided transaction, strategy, corporate finance and capital management advice to public and private sector clients across a range of sectors including utilities, energy, tourism, tertiary education, iwi, retail, local government and state owned enterprises. Hugo also leads most of Cameron Partners’ debt capital markets advisory and transaction mandates.
Prior to joining Cameron Partners, Hugo worked at a New Zealand based corporate advisory firm and before that spent eight years with Westpac Banking Corporation and BNP Paribas specialising in research, credit analysis and senior institutional lending roles. Hugo holds a BCom (Hons) in Economics and Graduate Diploma in Finance from the University of Otago.
Selected assignments and transactions include advising:
- Wellington City Council in relation to its capital projects delivery framework
- Heartland Bank Limited in relation to an independent advisers report for a proposed corporate restructure
- Lead advisor to Central Government and various local authorities on the establishment of the Local Government Funding Agency, including originating the idea; designing the organisational and capital structures and leading implementation of all arrangements
- University of Canterbury on its capital structure and funding and financing options, and securing Crown capital funding (NZ$260m)
- Tourism Holdings Limited’s shareholders regarding the acquisition of United and Kea
- The Directors of The Warehouse on the acquisition of Noel Leeming Group
- Auckland Council regarding a comprehensive review of its alternative sources of financing
- Top Energy regarding its capital structure and financing options
- New Plymouth District Council regarding a review and restructuring of its Perpetual Investment Fund
- TVNZ on its strategy and capital management policies
- Christchurch City Council regarding a review of its funding requirements and options and capital release options from its portfolio of commercial assets
- AUT University regarding the business case for the AUT South Campus, based in Manukau including securing Government approval and capital support